Cricket, MCG aim for 25,000 on Boxing Day
Cricket Australia will aim to have 25,000 fans attend each day of the Boxing Day Test at the MCG after the revised schedule for India's tour was locked in.
Officials confirmed on Wednesday that the Adelaide Oval day-night Test would open the Border-Gavaskar Trophy on December 17, before the Boxing Day match follows.
Sydney's Test has been pushed back to January 7 before the Gabba wraps up the red-ball summer from January 15.
Cricket Australia (CA) is hopeful by the end of December all state borders will be open, allowing for the ease of movement for the final two Tests.
But the jewel in the crown will remain Boxing Day at the MCG, after fears the summer's showpiece event will have to be moved.
CA are working off the likelihood of 25 per cent capacity in Melbourne, although that could increase or decrease dependent on COVID-19 case numbers.
Officials have promised there will be no price gouging and that distribution would be allocated between members and general public with a maximum of 125,000 to attend over five days.
CA also confirmed on Wednesday that the deal with the MCG to host the high-profile Test had been extended for another three years, after the agreement expired last summer.
"The number that has been talked about so far is 25,000," CA interim boss Nick Hockley said.
"It would be absolutely fantastic to have as many as we can get in as possible.
"After the year that has been ... What a moment that will be for Victorians who have had such a tough time of late."
CA insisted Wednesday's announcement showed it was delivering its side of the broadcast bargain, as the dispute with free-to-air broadcaster Seven Network awaits arbitration.
Under the revised schedule, Australia and India's Test players in the IPL will arrive in Sydney together on a chartered flight on November 12.
They will stay in Sydney Olympic Park and be able to train in two different groups at Blacktown, before being released from quarantine before the opening ODI.
The SCG will host two of the one-day matches and Twenty20s, while one of each will be played at Manuka Oval in Canberra.
Negotiations are ongoing for India's families to join, with the NSW government revealing some space would be allowed for them in the initial quarantine bubble.
"There is a provision for it," minister for tourism Stuart Ayres said.
"How they make those selections will be for those two cricket associations.
"But ultimately they have to fit within the COVID safe plan that the NSW government has prepared."
Meanwhile, Western Australia will go without international cricket this summer with the state's hard border closures making it too difficult to slot in.
The last large piece of the summer's jigsaw puzzle - a Big Bash schedule - is close to completion.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails