The lower house MP representing the Carnarvon electorate has ramped up the campaign for a safe night space for at-risk youths but the State Government has stopped short of committing its support, as confusion reigns around the proposal’s progress. Town officials used a recent visit by Racing and Gaming Minister Reece Whitby to reveal 11 local 14-year-olds had given birth over the past year, pleading for State Government to support a round-the-clock safe space as a key solution. But it is not clear whether funding has been secured and there’s also questions around location. Merome Beard, the Member for North West Central who has been calling for a space for some time, urged Child Protection Minister Sabine Winton to commit to supporting it in State Parliament on Wednesday. But Ms Winton indicated matters involving children were complex. “I am an absolutely big supporter of local solutions for local communities because we know it works,” the Minister said. “When locals come up with solutions to local problems, I’m always keen to listen to them. “But we also have to remember, particularly when we’re talking about children, that they need to be lawful, they need to be appropriate ... and they need to have national safety principles attached.” Ms Winton said the Gascoyne town’s solution-driven shire president Eddie Smith had indicated funding was secured, but she had been advised that was not the case. There had been some miscommunication with local authorities, she said, but the department was contacting the proponent, Carnarvon Family Support Services, “to clarify what has actually happened”. “And we’ll go from there,” Ms Winton said. Premier Roger Cook said Carnarvon was “a challenging community” and the State Government needed to offer more support, but was also non-committal when pressed specifically on the safe space. “I absolutely support all facilities and all support services right throughout the Western Australian community to assist vulnerable people with the circumstances that they confront,” Mr Cook told reporters. “That goes for Carnarvon and any other town right across this great State, which is the reason why we fund these projects, particularly in conjunction with our not-for-profit partners.” Ms Beard, who recently caused a major stir with her defection from the Nationals to the Liberals, said it was disappointing that the Cook Government “continues to ignore the need for this critical facility”, leaving kids roaming the streets with “nowhere else to go”. “The current night patrol volunteers offer an amazing service in assisting these youths, but the reality is they need a 24/7 safe space to support their service where they can take these kids late at night,” the Carnarvon publican told The West Australian. “The women’s refuge in town is also unable to take boys over the age of 12 overnight with their mothers, creating a gap in service delivery.” The department is being contacted for comment.