Danger in fungi find
With psilocybin mushroom season fast approaching, Nannup police have issued a warning to those planning on picking them.
“We know the time frames when psilocybin grows and we know when it’s at its peak and that’s when we are at our peak patrolling,” Sgt Al McNevin said.
“Don’t ingest it, don’t pick it, just leave it where it is, it is very, very dangerous for the body.
Sgt McNevin said psilocybin took away a person’s ability to reason and caused hallucinations.
“Nannup police experienced this in detail last year when a backpacker had a dramatic experience with psilocybin.
“He went missing for four days, that included a trip to Perth he doesn’t remember, purchasing and selling a motor vehicle he doesn’t remember and includes him sleeping in the bush for 48 hours in the rain and cold.
“It can be very dangerous, he was lucky to be found were he was by Nannup police and a local resident.
Donnybrook police patrol for the mushrooms all year round, and officer-in-charge Sgt Matt Fogarty said they would continue to be vigilant.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails