Manjimup 15,000 cancelled
Dirt High Promotions have cancelled this year’s Manjimup 15,000 due to concerns about COVID-19 travel restrictions.
Dirt High owner Willie Thompson said it was the first time the 15,000 had been cancelled during his 11 year tenure of promoting the event.
“It’s the biggest motocross event in Australia — all the Eastern Staters that come say they have nothing like it, nothing close to it, not even half the size of it, in the east,” he said.
Thompson said the cancellation would have a negative impact on the shire’s economy.
“I believe it will impact the local economy in a big way, it’s probably the biggest event in the shire,” he said.
“From food to fuel to restaurants, to just the general things we hire and buy in time for the event, it will be affecting the economy.”
The event was due to run from May 29 to 31 and despite the setback in 2020, Thompson says he believes there will be no problems with the 2021 event.
“Next year we will do exactly the same again, but each year we always try and step up a little and change, or improve or add something,” he said.
“We’ve done that for 11 years and this year was going to be no different.”
Manjimup Motorcycle Club president Paul Love said the event’s cancellation was disappointing for his club and the sport in general.
“The club’s disappointed, it’s a major source of our funding that gets us through the year,” he said.
“It’s a major drawcard for all riders — not just Manjimup riders — so it’s a let down for everyone associated with the sport.”
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails