Manjimup man faces 20 charges armed robbery, criminal damage, stealing
A Manjimup man has been remanded in custody on 20 charges following an alleged crime spree that started in Manjimup and finished in Busselton last week.
The man, 41, has been charged with five counts of criminal damage, two counts of stealing, one count of stealing from a motor vehicle, two counts of stealing a motor vehicle, two counts of armed robbery, one count of being armed with intent to cause fear, two counts of gains benefit by fraud, two counts of no authority to drive, one possess prohibited drug (cannabis) and two breaches of a violence restraining order.
Manjimup police officer-in-charge Sgt Isaac Rinaudo said police would allege the man’s spree started late on Sunday, March 10, when he smashed windows in the Manjimup CBD.
The Manjimup Newsagency, the Royal Surf Life Saving Society WA call centre, the Commonwealth Bank, Manjimup Hotel and the Caltex at the northern end of town all reported smashed windows.
Sgt Rinaudo said it would be alleged the man then stole a car in Dixvale and stole items from a different car.
“This is very unusual behaviour,” he said.
It will be alleged early on March 11, the man then committed an armed robbery in Dixvale while in possession of a claw hammer and stole an empty safe.
According to a Police Media statement, it will be alleged he then dumped the stolen car in bushland outside Nannup before walking into Nannup and stealing another car while armed with a knife.
The man then allegedly drove to Busselton, where he committed a series of fraud offences before dumping the stolen car at a motel in Busselton.
Bunbury and Busselton detectives charged the man on Thursday with the help of information provided by the community.
The man appeared in Bunbury Magistrates Court on Friday and will reappear on May 2.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails