Rally is hopeful for a start
The popular Targa South West rally has changed its date as a result of COVID-19 and will now hopefully run in August.
Originally scheduled for May, the plan for the August 8 event will see the racing stages centralised in Pemberton and Northcliffe.
Event director Ross Tapper said as soon as bans were lifted, work would result in preparing for Targa South West.
“We can run the event with less than 500 people in one place,” he said.
“If we’re allowed to run an event later in the year, we can work within restrictions.”
The decision to drop the Manjimup stages and concentrate on Pemberton and Northcliffe was to make the event more affordable for officials and competitors, who may also be hit by financial issues as a result of COVID-19.
Another big change the Targa South West team is planning is to potentially hold a street festival on August 8 evening following the day’s events.
“We’d do the presentations in the park and people could come down and see the cars,” Tapper said.
“Last year, a band was there for live music and it was a great atmosphere.
“Hopefully people will come down to get involved.”
For the event to go ahead on the new August date, it would need approvals from government at a Federal, State and local level.
Tapper said the Targa South West crew was eager to work with local government for the proper permission if the lock down is lifted before the August 8 event.
“Officials, competitors — everyone we’re talking to wants to get out there on to the road,” Tapper said.
He also said he was also hoping to organise the Rally WA Karri Rally — originally scheduled for May 8 — for August 9.
“It would bring a weekend of motorsport,” Tapper said.
“Hopefully, competitors would bring gravel and tarmac cars to participate in both events.
“As soon as the Premier and Prime Minister says we can get out there again, we’ll be out.”
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails